The American Legion Auxiliary Girls State Program is a marquee program that has been training high school girls for leadership roles since 1937. Throughout this week long “simulated government” experience, these girls assume the roles of the future leaders – they run for,and hold offices that mirror our state’s elected offices from Governor to State Auditor. There are campaign directors and speech writers. They learn the fundamentals of the legislative process, the three branches of government and parliamentary procedures. Each girl must write her own potential law and defend it in hopes of making it a law.
- A one day session for each county provided by each of the County Governments
- Mock county council sessions
- Question and answer sessions with both elected, appointed, and hired county officials and staff
- The students elect their own state officials who then get to shadow their counterparts for a day before
actually performing the duties of that office
- Four mornings of a mock legislative session in the Delaware State House and Delaware State Senate Chambers
- Four afternoons of classroom sessions of different aspects of state government given by those that actually preform those duties
- A tour of Dover Air Force Base
- Question and answer sessions with Delaware’s Governor, US Senators, and other elected officials
The legislative sessions are open to the public as are the sessions of the Delaware House and Senate.
Girl State Application .pdf
All applicants must be recommended by one of the following:
- An American Legion Post or Unit
- Student’s High School
- A Military recruiter for one of the US Academies
Further, all applicants must meet the following requirements:
- High School Junior girls must be in the upper third of their class
- Demonstrated leadership abilities
- Real interest in learning about government through practical application
- Able to attend the entire session from Sunday to Thursday
- Able to stay in the dorm at college campus/dorm for the entire program.
Students who have received one of the above recommendations, meet the listed requirements, and want to attend, please contact the Girls State Chairman through our application process.
Mail Completed Form to:
American Legion Auxiliary
Richard C. DuPont Unit 0018
PO Box 63, Claymont, DE 19703
Applicants will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and notified whether or not they have been accepted.
American Legion Auxiliary Delaware Girls State Program
Click here for More information on the ALA Girls State Program
IMPORTANT! You must submit your Samsung American Legion Scholarship application online. Once submitted online, please print and bring a copy with you to Girls State registration. No new applications will be accepted on site . . . only copies of applications submitted online.
The Samsung American Legion Scholarship ONLINE application Scholarship Application Link
Delaware Girls State 2018 Enrollment Package
How To Draft Bills
How to write a bill – the basics.pptx
Senate Draft Bill.pdf
House of Representatives Draft Bill.pdf
Two of the Girl State delegates and alternates are selected to attend the American Legion Auxiliary Girls Nation in Washington D.C. Girl Nation senators campaign for political offices, debate legislation and meet their real-life counterparts on Capitol Hill. Learn more about Girls Nation
Girls State program is funded through donations from Delaware’s American Legion Auxiliary Units, The American Legion Posts, Sons of the American Legion Squadrons, individuals and grants. You can make a tax-deductible donation to help cover the program cost for accommodations and meals, transportation for day trips, other operating office expenses. Financial contributions ensure a quality program.
Delegate Sponsorship – sponsor one young woman to Delaware’s Girls State program for $550.00
Program Counselors and Participants
The all-volunteer staff comes from American Legion Auxiliary units and former Girls State citizens. Counselors, state and local government officials and speakers participate and provide guidance in their fields of expertise. Background checks are required for all counselors involved with the Girls State program, if you would like to participate contact the American Legion Auxiliary Department of Delaware Girl State Program Director at DEGS1919@gmail.com
Girl State Program Positions
- Choir Director – responsibilities include developing the choir
- Counselors – each counselor is responsible for supervising approximately 30, 16-17 year old girls
- Junior Counselor – provides support to the Counselor
- Media Director – ability to work with a team
- Nurses – basic on-site medical care
- Photographer – digital pictures of program activities
- Speaker Panel Coordinator – obtaining speakers who will donate their time, work with director to coordinate schedule
Delaware Girls State Alumni! If you have attended a previous session of Delaware Girls State, we would love to hear from you! Please contact the program director at DEGS1919@gmail.com include your maiden name, current occupation, year you attended and Girl State Office held.