97th Annual Department Convention
American Legion Auxiliary, Department of Delaware
In accordance with Article VI, Section I of the Department Constitution which provides that the annual Department Convention of the American Legion Auxiliary, Department of Delaware be held annually at the same time and place as the American Legion Convention, the 97th
Department Convention of the American Legion Auxiliary, Department of Delaware is hereby called to meet in Dover, Delaware on July 12 – July 14, 2017. Convention business sessions will be held in the Dover Downs Hotel and Casino, 1131 North DuPont Highway (U.S. Route #13), Dover, Kent County, Delaware.
The annual Department Convention is the legislative body of the American Legion Auxiliary, Department of Delaware. The Convention is called for the purpose of electing officers for the ensuing year and delegates and alternates for the 97th Annual National Convention to be held in Reno, Nevada August 17 – August 24, 2017, to amend the Department Constitution and Bylaws, receive reports of Department Officers and Committees, and transact other business as may be brought before it. Officers for the ensuing year will be elected on July 14, 2017.
Representation in the Convention shall be by Unit in accordance with the provisions of the Standing Rules –Department Convention:
- The date and place of the Department Convention of the American Legion Auxiliary shall conform to that of the American Legion.
- Representation in the Department Convention shall be by Units. Each Unit shall be entitled to one delegate and one alternate for each twenty-five paid-up members or the majority fraction thereof, in addition to the Unit President, or, in her absence, the Unit Vice President, who shall be a Delegate-at-Large with vote. Past Department Presidents shall also be Delegates-at-Large with vote in their Unit. Every Unit shall be entitled to at least one elected delegate and one elected alternate.
- As provided in the Department Constitution, amendments to the Department Convention delegate voting strength and the manner for casting votes shall be by action of the Department Convention delegates.
- The Department President shall be the Chairman of the Convention. The Department Vice President shall be the Vice Chairman of the Department Convention; and in compliance with Constitutional requirements, may act in the place of the Department President, the Department Secretary shall be the Secretary of the Department Convention.
- The Department President in addition to a Convention Planning committee; may appoint a Department Convention Chairman who is charged with preparation of the preliminary plans and arrangements for the Department Convention in consultation with and with the approval of the Department President.
- The Department Officers of the Convention who are present and the Chairmen of the Special and Standing Committees required to report at the Convention shall be permitted to sit with the Convention body.
There shall the following named Department Convention committees. The general duties of the committees shall be to consider matters assigned to such committees, to consider matters specifically referred to them by the Department Convention, and to conduct other business as described in this section.
Delegates will register with the Credentials Committee on Wednesday July 12, 2017 between 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM and on Thursday and Friday, July 13 and 14, 2017 at 8:00 AM. Delegate fees (if not already paid) will be paid to the Department Treasurer with copy of the Delegates to Secretary for badges to be issued. Each Unit must submit name and membership number verified by the Membership Chair that member is current. Each unit is required to pay registration fees ($5 each) for its entire delegation (Delegates-at-Large, Delegates and Alternates) submitted to the Department Office. Delegates who have not checked in at earlier registration must do so prior to election of officers. If a delegate leaves the Convention session for any reason, she shall pass her badge to her alternate, who will have the privileges of a delegate thereafter.
Officers for the year 2017– 2018 and delegates and alternates to the National Convention will be nominated at the first session of the Convention on Thursday July 13, 2017 and elected during the Friday session on July 14, 2017. Installation of the newly elected Officers will take place immediately after the election. Dress for the Installation will be “professional” or business casual – no jeans please.
The business session will begin at 9:00 AM on Thursday, July 13, 2017 and Friday, July 14, 2017. Delegates are expected to attend all business sessions. Dress for the sessions will be business casual (no jeans), capris are acceptable if not denim and sandals. No flip flops. All Auxiliary members are welcome to attend as guests. Only authorized delegates shall have a voice and vote at the Convention. Delegates shall wear convention badges to all sessions and for voting.
2016-2017 Numeric Goals and Projected Delegates June12017